Clothes Moth – Their Pest Control and Extermination
They are also called webbing clothes moths.
The adult female would lay eggs in clusters of 30 to 200. These eggs would usually be laid down with a glue like substance.
After 4 to 10 days later, very tiny caterpillars larvae would emerge from these eggs. These caterpillars would start to feed upon the natural fibers and other natural materials and food items that may be found in the vicinity of their birthplace.
These larvae would spin cocoon and in the dark they would partially emerge out from this cocoon to feed on nearby materials. After 1 to 48 months later the larvae has matured into a Pupae stage depending upon the temperature and the environment. It will take further 10 to 50 days for the Pupae to become an adult Moth.
The adult Moths prefer to travel over surfaces without becoming airborne. The adult Moth lives between 15 to 30 days. The only goal of the adults is to mate and lay eggs. They do not feed after becoming an adult moth.
Significance as a Pest
The Clothes Moths are considered a serious Pest as they feed on clothing and natural fibers. These Pests have the ability to digest keratin protein in wool and silk. The Female Moth would prefer dirty fabric to lay eggs and in particular the areas of carpet and fabrics that contains human sweat, skin, food debris, etc. These tiny amounts are enough of a food source for the larvae to feed upon besides natural fibers of carpet, upholstery, etc. Tint amount of evaporation from human skin that has been absorbed into these materials would be very helpful to these larvae.
The Larvae would readily consume upon cotton, linen, silk, wool and furs.
Both adults and larvae prefer darker environments hence they would love to nest under baseboards and edges of carpets and rugs.
Clothes Moths Extermination Technique and its Advantages:
We utilize the most effective insecticide Spray and Fog agents available from the leading pesticides manufactures. These pesticide are highly effective and contain most powerful active ingredients. We employ the Spray and Fog technique to Control, and Exterminate the Clothes Moths infestations. Some of the Characteristics of the Spray and Fog technique are:
- When there is no Bait available for a given Pest, Targeted or Broadcast application of Control Agents in selected areas of the structure is the next best option. In cases of high infestations, spraying upon the pests produces a quick reduction in their numbers.
- Areas that are targeted are the nesting and foraging activities areas of the Pest.
- Clothes Moths are affected by the insecticide active agent when they come into contact with the treated surfaces.
- Clothes Moths would be exterminated by getting the Active Ingredient into it's biological system via contact. An affected pest may also prove to be a source of secondary poisoning for other members.
- The Insecticide Spray method results in gradual, almost fool-proof and guaranteed removal of these pests.
Client's Preparations for Insecticides Application:
- Client is required to prepare areas to be treated with insecticide spray application.
- Client is required to leave the property during the application and stay out for further 2 hours after the application.
Our exterminators will inspect the structure for points of vulnerabilities that may facilitate future infestations or conditions that may be helping the Clothes Moths to flourish. It will be up to the property owner to act on the recommendations.
Specific Notes on Spray or Fog Application:
Spray may be Water-Based or of the Emulsion type. Even though it would not stain or damage surfaces, it may be noticeable as a thin film of light color. The film may also have oily characteristics. If it is found on any surfaces that are used by people or pets, then it should be cleaned away at the earliest. For further information, please, see our Pesticides and the MSDS page.
Expected Results and Outcome of the Treatment:
In about 3-5 weeks, all Clothes Moths would have been eliminated having directly or indirectly been exposed to the insecticide sprayed. Gradually Clothes Moths would simply cease to exist. It remains possible that some Clothes Moths may expire near human living spaces.
At Vaughan Pest Control Services .ca, we have the highest success rate of complete elimination of Clothes Moths with one treatment alone.
Prior to carrying out treatment for Clothes Moths, we will do an inspection or survey of the property to determine the extent and scope of the infestation. In doing so, we will also obtain information from people present on site.